Translate

Monday 8 April 2013

Emo about Ebooks



Or the librarian in black's emotive ebook rant. Read at www.librarianinblack.net/

I thought I'd pen the following to her. It'll go something like this.

Dear Sarah

A while ago, Sandy (that's our lecturer for LBS) set us the task of writing short essays. The lot of ebooks fell to yours truly. And, in retrospect, I'm so glad it did.

Because it led me to your blog. And your, well, colourful (some would say profane) rant about the perils of ebooks in libraries. Well, wasn't it an eye-opener for a behind-the-times-as always South African librarian. From now on I'm not going to bemoan the fact that  this literary phenomenon
will only be commonplace in our libraries light years hence. By that time you guys will have all those nasty little niggles like greedy aggregators, crap choices, licences and suchlike sorted. Then we'll import and just piggyback on your new improved system.

Or maybe Open Access will be universally declared. Who knows? In the meantime, don't stress so much, take calm deep breaths, it helps you know.



Ps. I was shocked at your language. I thought I was the only librarian who swore. In my head of course - my superiors would hang, draw and quarter me if I blogged like that.

2 comments:

  1. A colourful character is my description of the librarian-in-black. I followed her for a few days on Twitter, but I must confess - she was too 'hot' to handle - to me at least. That language!!!! Perhaps I'll muster up the courage to follow her again some time - I am clearly not up to that challenge right now. I hope that you continue your blog after the course. I enjoy Reading your wRiting - it's a breath of fresh air!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree it is quite interesting to read and most of the time I don't know how to comment on the things you say. This post however I agree 100% with. I know people swear and sometimes a swear word comes out of my mouth as well but posting something or putting something on the internet with swear words in is just not right in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete